Weddings in Virgin Gorda

We have the perfect place for you if you are planning a special wedding! Virgin Gorda is your ultimate, romantic wedding ceremony destination especially if you want to follow it up with a discreet and special honeymoon.

There is a perfect location awaiting you in Virgin Gorda no matter what your preferences are. You can choose to have your wedding on the beach at Mahoe Bay, or Adagio Villa with your guests staying at a number of the other villas. As you can book one of the several restaurants/hotels present on the island that can cater to umpteen guests. It all goes back to what you have in mind when it comes to planning the perfect wedding.

Wedding Planners

There are several wedding planners on Virgin Gorda that will take care of almost everything to do with your wedding such as:

  •      Arranging for a wedding license, for a minister, or wedding official
  •      Arranging for decor, flowers, podium, music, food and drinks, photographers, etc.
  •      Arranging for transportation to and from the whole party

If you are looking for the preeminent wedding planner for Virgin Gorda weddings, we highly recommend Island Concierge and Ms. Dale George. Mrs. Dale has a selection of fully-priced wedding packages available at:

BVI Wedding Rules & Requirements

To get married at BVI, a marriage license is required. The marriage license can be easily obtained, and the certificate is valid internationally. You can prepare your Marriage Licence application online.

Find the site for the wedding licenses here:

Simply, follow the instructions listed on the website to submit your application to a Marriage Officer of your choice.

Upon your arrival in the Virgin Islands, you can apply for a Marriage License at the Registrar-General’s Office, which is situated in the Burhym Building, Road Town, Tortola. The Registrar-General’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

A marriage license takes 1 working day to be processed. Once the government has granted a license, it remains valid for 3 months from the day it is issued.

At the Registrar-General’s Office, you have several choices:

Option 1:  To pay a fee of $220 via postage stamp (purchased from the Registrar-General’s Office or Post Office) for a special license. To qualify for a special license, you must present at the time of application and plan to be a resident/present in the Virgin Islands for at least one day.

Option 2:  To pay a fee of $120 via postage stamp (purchased from the Registrar-General’s Office or Post Office) for an ordinary license. This only applies if you have been a resident in the Virgin Islands for 15 days or more. You are required to:

  • Show proof of your identity and your resident status i.e. the day you arrived in the Virgin Islands (via your passport).
  • Show proof of your marital status (including certified copies of Decree(s) Absolute for divorced spouse or Death Certificate(s) of the deceased spouse).
  • Have two people verify and sign your application for the license. Please note that these two witnesses should be different from the witnesses who will be present at your Marriage Ceremony.
    On this account, note that you can always request people in the Virgin Islands to be witnesses at the Registrar-General’s Office and your Marriage Ceremony.

Having applied for the license, you should schedule an appointment for the date and time you propose to be married. If you have telephoned your appointment from abroad, you will need to confirm it at the Registrar-General’s Office at this time.

The Registrar-General’s Office is situated on Wickham’s Cay, Road Town, upstairs of Burhym Electrical Services. The Registrar-General’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

For further details, please write or call:
P.O. Box 3199
Road Town, Tortola
British Virgin Islands VG1110
Tel: (284) 468-3442
Fax: (284) 494-2783
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

Civil Ceremonies Performed by the Registrar General

Weddings are performed by the Registrar-General outside the office Monday through Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. and inside the office Monday to Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

At the Registrar-General’s Office, you will be required to complete an application form showing your names as shown on your travel documents, ages, occupations, marital statuses, and the names of two witnesses (these two witnesses must be present at the Ceremony). Please be careful to accurately spell the names of the witnesses. Any correction of an error will attract a charge of $15. You must also indicate the proposed venue for the Marriage Ceremony.

If you wish to get married at the Registrar-General’s Office, you will be required to pay a fee of $340.

If you wish the Registrar-General to perform your Wedding Ceremony outside the office, the fee is $220. All cheques should be made payable to the ACCOUNTANT GENERAL.

If the Registrar-General is required to go to one of the adjoining islands of the Virgin Islands, for instance, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, Peter Island, Guana Island, Salt Island, Anegada, Norman Island, etc., you will be required to pay the Registrar-General’s transportation to that Island. (Fees for Ferry Services range from $20 one-way to $40 round trip).

If you wish to be married in the church (any church of your choice), Wedding Banns must be published on three (3) consecutive Saturdays or Sundays in that church. You must make arrangements with the Minister of the church in advance. You can also be married in a church by Special Marriage License, but those arrangements will also have to be made with a church Minister.

It would be wise to travel with your Driver’s License or Birth Certificate in addition to your essential travel documents, i.e. your passports. Also, all documents showing your marital status should be originals Or certified as true copies of the original.

BVI marriage certificates with the Registrar-General’s seal are official legal documents. You may, however, wish to check with your local authorities if the certificate requires to be legally authenticated using an apostille. If apostilles are required, these can also be prepared at the Registrar-General’s Office on payment of $40.