Weddings in Virgin Gorda

Virgin Gorda is the perfect place to have a destination wedding ceremony and follow it up with a discreet and special honeymoon.  Whether it’s on the beach at Mahoe Bay, at Adagio Villa with guests staying at a number of the other villas, or at one of the many restaurants/hotels that can cater to umpteen guests there is a perfect location awaiting you in Virgin Gorda.  So, the only question is what did you have in mind?

Wedding Planners:

There are several wedding planners on Virgin Gorda that will take care of almost everything to do with your wedding such as:

  • Arrange for a wedding license, for a minister or wedding official
  • Arrange for décor, flowers, podium, music, food and drinks, photographers etc.
  • Arrange for transportation to and from for the whole party

We recommend Island Concierge and Ms. Dale George as the preeminent wedding planner for Virgin Gorda weddings - Dale has a selection of fully priced wedding packages available at 


BVI Wedding Rules & Requirements

A marriage license is easy to obtain in the British Virgin Islands and the certificate is valid internationally.  You can prepare your Marriage Licence application online.

Here is the site for wedding licenses  just follow the simple instructions to submit your application to the Marriage Officer of your choice.

Upon arrival in the Virgin Islands, you can apply for a Marriage Licence at the Registrar-General's Office, which is situated in the Burhym Building, Road Town, Tortola. The Registrar-General's Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  A marriage licence takes one (1) working day to process.   Once the Government has granted a licence, it remains valid for three (3) months from the date it is signed.

At the Registrar-General's Office you have several choices:

To pay a fee of US$220 via postage stamp (purchased from the Registrar-General's Office or Post Office) for a Special Licence; to qualify for a special licence, you must be present at the time of application and plan to be a resident/present in the Virgin Islands for at least one day. Or, to pay a fee of US$120 via postage stamp (purchased from the Registrar-General's Office or Post Office) for an Ordinary Licence, if you have been resident in the Virgin Islands for 15 days or more.

  • To show proof of your identity and your resident status i.e. the day you arrived in the Virgin Islands (via your passport).
  • To show proof of marital status (including certified copies of Decree(s) Absolute for divorced spouse or Death Certificate(s) of the deceased spouse).
  • To have two persons to witness (and to sign) your application for the licence. Please note that these two witnesses need not be the same two witnesses who are present at your Marriage Ceremony.

Also, please note that you can always request persons in the Virgin Islands to be witnesses at the Registrar-General's Office and your Marriage Ceremony.

Having applied for the licence, you should then schedule an appointment for the date and time you propose to be married. If you have telephoned your appointment from abroad, you will need to confirm it at the Registrar-General’s Office at this time.

The Registrar-General’s Office is situated on Wickham’s Cay, Road Town, upstairs of Burhym Electrical Services. The Registrar-General’s Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

For further details, please write or call:


P.O. Box 3199

Road Town, Tortola

British Virgin Islands VG1110

Tel: (284) 468-3442

Fax: (284) 494-2783

Email: or





Weddings are performed by the Registrar-General outside the Office between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday and inside the Office between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.

At the Registrar-General’s Office, you will be required to complete an application form showing your names as shown on your travel documents, ages, occupations, marital status, and the names of two witnesses (these two witnesses must be present at the Ceremony).   Please be careful to accurately spell the names of the witnesses. Any correction of an error will attract a charge of US$15.   You must also then indicate the proposed venue for the Marriage Ceremony.

If you wish to be married at the Registrar-General’s Office you will be required to pay a fee of US$340.   If you wish the Registrar-General to perform your Wedding Ceremony outside the office, the fee is US$220.   All cheques should be made payable to the ACCOUNTANT GENERAL. If the Registrar-General is required to go to one of the adjoining islands of the Virgin Islands, for instance, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, Peter Island, Guana Island, Salt Island, Anegada, Norman Island etc., you will be required to pay the Registrar-General’s transportation to that Island.   (Fees for Ferry Services range from US$20 one-way to US$40 round trip).

If you wish to be married in the church of your choice, Wedding Banns must be published on three (3) consecutive Saturdays or Sundays in that church.   You must make arrangements with the Minister of the church in advance.   You can also be married in a church by Special Marriage License, but those arrangements will also have to be made with a church Minister.

It would be wise to travel with your Driver’s License or Birth Certificate in addition to your essential travel documents, i.e. your passports.   Also, all documents showing your marital status SHOULD BE ORIGINALS OR CERTIFIED AS TRUE COPIES of the original.

BVI marriage certificates with the Registrar-General’s seal are official legal documents.   You may, however, wish to check with your local authorities if the certificate requires to be legally authenticated using an apostille.   If apostilles are required, these can also be prepared at the Registrar-General’s Office on payment of US$40.